SajithaMadathil is a multi-faceted woman; academic, writer film actor, theatre-artist (actor/director), television personality (actor/producer), and culture administrator. She is a registered scholar at JNU, pursuing her research on the body language of women in the arena of Kerala Theatre. She has played a leading role in archiving traditional art forms all across the country as the Deputy Secretary of the SangeetNatakAkademi. And has also worked as the Deputy Director of Kerala State Chalachithra Academy.
She has been active in the Malayalam theatre and feminist discourse for more than three decades. Sajitha is one of the founders of Abhinethri (Actress), the first women’s theatre group in Kerala. In addition to acting in plays, she has written and directed several plays as well. Her book 'MalayalaNadakaStreeCharithram' was awarded the Best Book on theatre by Kerala Sangeetanataka academy.
She has also acted in more than 30 feature films. Her performance in the film Shutter (2012 Dir.Joy Mathew) won her the State film award for the second best actress. She has played an active role in organizing Women in Cinema Collective a historical feminist movement in Malayalam film industry.
- Her major works as a director includes the documentary, P K Medini--Maattathinte pattukari"(The Minstrel of Change) on the life of the revolutionary singer P K Medini for Public Relations Department, Government of Kerala (2011).
- She had worked as producer at Kairali TV, a Malayalam Satellite Channel, from 2000 - 2002 where she conceived, co-ordinated and directed 75 episodes of a weekly magazine titled Penmalayalam (Malayali Women) on women's issues and performance tradition.
- She had directed Short film KabooliWala for Kairali TV 2001
- She had written, directed and produced the documentary film Njan Nadi (I Am an Actress) on three women theatre actors of Kerala in 1994 for Doordarshan
- She had assisted in scripting, directing and the production of a three-part documentary on medicinal plants used in traditional medicine of Kerala, produced by The Other Image and telecast by Doordarshan in 1993.
- Sajitha had been the recepient of the Kerala SangeetaNadaka Akademi fellowship for her research on Actresses of Malayalam Theatre 2001
- She had won the prestegious YLFF Fellowship by Japanese foundation for her PhD at JNU 2004
- She had been awarded the Senior and junior fellowships by the Ministry of culture for studies on theatre in Kerala
- She had received a fellowship by the Indian Foundation for Arts (IFA) for studying the women’s intervention in three performing art forms of Kerala
- She has five books in Malayalam under her belt
- Aragile Malsyagandhikal,Trichur, Green books, 2019
- Aranginte Vakabhedangal, (Shades of Theatre) Kottayam: DC Books, 2012;
- Malayala Nataka Sthree Charithram, (The Women's History of Malayalam Theatre) Kozhikode: Mathrubhumi Publishing House, 2010;
- M K Kamalam, ( Actress-A Biography,) Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy, 2010;
- Matsyaganddhi, screen play in the Anthology of Screen Plays.New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2004.